A Potato Recipe for (almost) Every Day of the Month.
Because we are such fans of all kinds of potatoes, we’ve worked hard to include many varieties on this list from russet, sweet potato, baby potatoes to fingerlings. We’ve scoured our site to make sure we are giving you 30+ of the most amazing potato dishes out there.
We just know you are going to love cooking your way through this list this fall and winter. We’ve got you covered from delicious breakfasts, cozy dinners, interesting side dishes, and a few other gems making an appearance along the way.
Our Favorite Potato Recipes Hands Down.
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes (cover photo). Golden-brown on the outside, and creamy in the middle, these crispy smashed potatoes are the starchy side dish you need on your table ASAP!
- Picadillo. Ground beef, studded with potatoes and spiced generously with cumin, cinnamon and garlic—what’s not to love?
- Zuppa Toscana. Bacon, sausage, garlic and potatoes, our rich, delicious zuppa toscana recipe has it all, and then some!
- Classic Pot Roast. Nothing more—and nothing less—than a true blue classic pot roast recipe with potatoes! It will definitely brighten up a dreary day.
Potatoes & Garlic, the Perfect Match.
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes. Let’s begin with the most classic of all potato dishes that we’ve amped up a notch. Mashed tatters are a classic for a reason.
- Greek Chicken Freezer Meal. With sun-soaked garlic and lemon flavors this potato studded chicken dish makes the perfect freeze ahead meal.
- Hasselback Potatoes with Garlic and Herb Butter. For a less traditional twist on the dinner potato, try these babies, they’re a show stopper!
Perfectly Sweet, Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Roasted Sweet Potato Salad. Filled with avocado and black beans, then smothered in a creamy lime-cashew-cilantro dressing, this salad is not to be missed!
- Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes. Doused in cinnamon spiked honey, these roasted sweet potatoes are finished with a generous drizzle of good olive oil and flaky sea salt!
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole. If you’re searching for a less sugary side dish for Thanksgiving (or any dinner for that matter), try this one! You won’t miss that sugar!
- Candied Yams with Honey and Brown Sugar. A lightened up, dressed up, sophisticated riff on classic candied yams.
Potato Soup ALL the Ways
- Creamy Potato Soup. Bacon, garlic, leeks and plenty of cheese add huge flavor to this classic, creamy potato soup recipe.
- African Peanut Soup. This warming soup is full of fresh ginger, jalapeño, cumin, sweet potatoes and plenty of garlic.
- Wild Mushroom Chowder with Bacon and Leeks. A perfectly cozy dish for this time of year.
- Vegetarian Chili. This is a dairy-free, gluten-free, one-pot, wallet-friendly wonder... oh yeah, it also freezes well too!
- Salmon Chowder. Made with fresh salmon, salty bacon and you guessed it, hearty potatoes, this chowder is the ultimate comfort food.
Kid-Friendly Potato Recipes
- Beef Empanadas. Your kids will LOVE these flaky handheld pies! They are tender and delicious and filled with a hearty mixture of warmly-spiced ground beef and vegetables including potatoes!
- Baked Gnocchi or Baked Gnocchi with Broccoli. One whiff of either of these heavenly baked potato filled gnocchi dishes is enough to silence the ravenous masses.
- Twice Baked Potatoes. Crisp bacon, cheddar cheese, sour AND heavy cream all smashed into creamy potatoes—our twice baked potato recipe is here to win your heart forever.
- Braised Chicken with Potatoes and Chive Butter Sauce. If you’ve been on the fence about chicken thighs, this absolutely delicious braised chicken thigh and potato recipe might just win you over.
- Mini Italian-Style Meatloaf Sheet Pan. A good old-fashioned meatloaf dinner—mini meatloaves, potatoes and broccoli—all on one pan? Yep! It’s that sheet pan magic, at it again!
Vegetarian Potato Dish Success!
- Coconut Curry Lentil Soup. I have literally eaten this soup every week since we added it to the blog. It’s just that good!
- Fasolakia Braised Green Beans. This dish is a very different spin on green beans and potatoes. Served with feta and crusty bread, it’s a dish you’ll want to go back to again and again.
- Spiced Vegetarian Stew. This hearty soup is packed with vegetables and a rich broth seasoned with turmeric, cinnamon, and cumin- and is sure to warm you up, even on the coldest of days.
- Sweet Potato Tacos. These are destined to become your new favorite “meatless Monday” meal.
Potato Dinners Everyone will Love
- Sausage Kale and Potato Skillet. This dinner ticks all the boxes—a little meaty, some dark leafy greens, and some starchy goodness. An easy one-pan sausage, kale and potato skillet that pleases everyone, from cook to clean-up crew.
- Steak Bites and Sweet Potatoes. With curry aioli for dipping- you heard that right! Can you think of a more delicious skillet dinner?
- Loaded Sweet Potato with Chipotle Cashew Cream. This is one of my family’s favorite dinners, it's healthy and absolutely delicious!
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew. We love throwing potatoes into our stew and this is one of the best ways to do just that.
- Corned Beef and Cabbage. On St. Patrick’s Day—or any day, really—this corned beef, cabbage and potato recipe makes for a feast that’s sure to put everyone in a celebratory mood.
Potatoes For Breakfast? No one is Complaining!
- Potatoes Bravas with Chorizo Fried Eggs and Garlic Aioli. Twice fried make for the perfect meal any time of day.
- Carnitas Sweet Potato Hash. If you are doing Whole30, meet you new favorite, breakfast, lunch and dinner dish! Make a double batch of carnitas and prep ahead everything else. It’s the easiest and tastiest meal.
- Rosemary Roasted Potatoes. Simple as it is special, this easy recipe for rosemary potatoes is a trusty side dish that works for breakfast or dinner.
- Breakfast Burritos. Filled with crispy shredded potatoes these burritos never get old.
- Corned Beef Hash. What’s a dinner of corned beef and cabbage without the promise of corned beef hash for breakfast the next day?
Potato Pot Pies Are the Best.
- Rustic Curry Lamb Pie. This is a great way to introduce your friends and family to a new flavorful dish using ground lamb. It’s hearty and homey and just perfect for the season
- Vegetable Pot Pie. With a rich brown gravy style sauce and cheesy biscuits, this pot pie is perfectly over the top.
- Lamb Pie. If you’re looking for a fun little dinner project, may we suggest this lamb pie? It’s worth all the effort!
Yay for Potato Side Dishes!
- Potato Leek Au Gratin. The flavors in this dish are pure perfection, fancy without the fuss!
- Crispy Roasted Potatoes with Gremolata. These potatoes are a good way to jazz up your dinner routine. They pack so much flavor!
- Classic Potato Salad. A year round BBQ staple...Enough said.
- Potatoes Au Gratin. This is a dish that literally melts in your mouth.
- Easy Niçoise Salad. Potatoes on the side of our healthy, easy Niçoise salad recipe is just begging to be paired with long, lazy summer evenings and plenty of chilled rosé.
Winner Winner Potato-and-Chicken Dinner
- Sheet Pan Olive Bar Chicken. Want to know the world’s most simple dinner? It’s this potato filled...so good!
- No Noodle Pad Thai. Spiralized sweet potatoes replace rice noodles in one of our favorite dishes. You’re gonna love that sauce.
- One Pan Honey Mustard Chicken and Vegetables. It’s everything your dinner dreams are made of all in one dish!
- Chicken Meatball and Vegetable Soup. This simple, delicious, Whole30-approved chicken meatball soup recipe is soothing, cozy and easy to make.
Did You Make One of These Recipes?
We hope you love this 30+ Best Potato Recipes list. If you make any of these dishes, we’d love to hear about it. Be sure to tag @themodernproper and #themodernproper on Instagram to share where you found the recipe. Happy eating!