More Vegetarian Soup Recipes Just For You!
You asked for more vegetarian dinner ideas and we listened! This tasty vegetarian spiced stew is packed with hearty vegetables and a rich broth seasoned with turmeric, cinnamon, and cumin- and is sure to warm you up, even on the coldest of days.
We’re all looking for those magical meals that are as simple to make as they are delicious. We promise this is one of those dishes. In the winter it’s all about those one-pot wonders. And before you say you can’t eat yet another meal that comes from a pot, allow me to get you excited again with this delicious vegetarian soup.
Miles from boring and far from anything you’ve been eating all winter, this warmly-spiced and hearty vegetable stew is an exciting take on one-pot dinners and checks all our boxes;
Flavorful, healthy, minimal effort required. Check, check, check.
Let’s get cooking.
What’s the Spice in Spiced Vegetable Stew?
Spice is important in any soup or stew, but in this case, it’s what takes this vegetarian stew over the top. In the vein of many Moroccan dishes, our stew uses cinnamon, turmeric, and cumin to give it its robust and memorable flavor. When spice is the showcase of your dish, the quality really matters and for that reason we love working with Simply Organic’s spices as they are so fresh and rich in flavor (a little goes a long way!).
How Do You Make a Vegetable Stew?
Unlike a beef stew which requires many involved steps and plenty of time, this hearty vegetable stew can come together in 30 minutes and with minimal effort. Here’s how we do it:
- Give your onions and garlic a good saute with some olive oil. This step should never be missed. Cooking aromatics in fat prior to adding them to a large pot of liquid helps give this vegetable stew a more balanced, slightly sweeter flavor. It’s science, so you can trust us on this one.
- Add your spices into the hot pot and stir until they’re fragrant. This really makes the spices come alive and provides for brighter, fresher flavor in your finished dish.
- Add in your broth and all the veggies to the pot. Stir everything together and let it simmer.
- Finally, once the soup is ready to go add in the kale. We save this for last to keep the kale from completely wilting and turning to mush during the simmering process. Once the kale is added, cook your vegetable stew for an additional five minutes and then serve with a piece of warm bread naan (our fave!).
How Do You Thicken Vegetable Stew?
With Beef Stew the fat from the beef and potatoes will naturally thicken the broth over time, even without adding flour or cornstarch. However, with this quick and simple vegetable stew you have neither the time needed for thickening nor the rendered fat...but don’t worry! We’ve got a plan. Slightly overcook your sweet potatoes and, using the back of a spoon, smash a couple of them in the your pot of vegetable stew and stir them in. This will give the broth a slightly thicker consistency and make for one incredible vegetarian stew.
Is Vegetable Stew Healthy?
Because this vegetarian stew is loaded with vegetables, we can safely say that it makes for one very healthy meal. Even better, the Simply Organic turmeric and cinnamon spices we use to flavor this dish hold anti inflammatory properties that make it even more beneficial than your standard vegetable stew.
What Do You Put in a Stew?
Stew is typically a dish consisting of meat and vegetables slowly simmered over a long period of time. However, we’re all for breaking rules, which is why we’ve left the meat out entirely and added a few of our favorites to this vegetarian stew. It’s so thick and tasty, we promise you won’t miss the meat one bit.
- Sweet potatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Fire-roasted tomatoes
But, Where’s the Beef?
Worried you’ll miss the meat in this spiced vegetarian stew? Don’t be. This vegetable-based dish is still loaded with protein thanks to the chickpeas and kale and hearty as can be with the addition of yummy sweet potatoes. Plus, don’t forget the fire roasted tomatoes and warm, Moroccan-inspired spices. Put it all together and you’ve got a completely meat-free dish that we guarantee will please even the biggest carnivore. This spiced vegetarian stew is a great way to ease into incorporating more meatless meals into your family’s weeknight dinner routine, something we’ve been working hard to do ourselves.
Tools You'll Need:
Need More Vegetarian Soups to Get You Through the Winter?
- This Coconut Curry Lentil Soup is a fan and family favorite!
- Have you ever tried Hungarian Mushroom Soup? Our recipe will make a mushroom lover out of anyone.
- Tomato Bisque with Fried Cheese. This is a grown up version of the grilled cheese and tomato soup classic, need I say more?
Three Cheers For Veggie Stew.
If you make this spiced vegetable stew and fall as in love with this hearty and slurpable dish as we have, we’d love to hear about it! Post a picture to Instagram and tag @themodernproper and #themodernproper so we can celebrate your dinner win along with you. Happy eating!