Low Carb Chicken Divan.
This keto-approved chicken divan recipe is a creamy, cheesy, broccoli-filled dish that is an instant throwback to our childhoods. We’ve taken the liberty of giving this ‘80’s casserole a low-carb makeover for those who need it, but we swear it’s every bit as cozy as the classic.
Natalie has vivid memories of her mom putting her in charge of grating the cheddar cheese while she poached the chicken and steamed the broccoli for this classic casserole. Meanwhile, Natalie’s sisters were in charge of opening the cans of cream of chicken soup.
We all loved that broccoli and chicken casserole back in the day, but it was time to grow up a little and find some “real-food” alternatives to update our favorite retro casserole.
What is the “Divan” in Chicken Divan?
In essence, chicken divan is just a creamy chicken casserole with broccoli in it. Although its origins can be traced back to a swanky hotel in 1800s New York City, chicken divan really became popular in the height of the 80’s casserole craze and easily won the hearts of many, because let’s face it...it’s really good. Cheesy broccoli and chicken? What’s not to love?
What’s in Chicken Divan?
- Poached chicken: poached, shredded chicken is an incredibly versatile ingredient, and one of our favorite things to keep on hand at all times. P.S. This step can easily be done ahead of time.
- Steamed broccoli: use a steam basket or just toss the broccoli into a small pot of boiling water, cover and cook until bright green and just tender. You could also do this in the microwave!
- The cream sauce (the cream of chicken soup substitute): if you’re on the Keto diet, this creamy sauce is going to be your new best friend. After much testing, we found that a combination of mayo, sour cream, cream cheese, heavy cream and a little organic bouillon (this is our favorite brand) almost perfectly replicates the texture of cream of chicken soup—all of the flavor, none of the guilt!
- Cheddar cheese: you can shred and use any kind of cheese you want for this Keto chicken divan recipe, but a good medium-sharp cheddar is our favorite.
- Secret ingredient: what’s a classic family recipe without a secret ingredient? Ours is curry powder! Just a little bit takes our chicken divan casserole to the next level!
How Do You Make Chicken Divan?
If you prep and shred the poached chicken ahead of time, and have your steamed broccoli ready to go, the rest of this chicken divan recipe is really quick and easy.
- Make your cream sauce! Combine the mayo, sour cream, cream cheese, heavy cream curry powder, and chicken bouillon.
- Mix! In a large bowl add the broccoli, creamy sauce, and shredded, cooked chicken. Mix until combined.
- Into the pan! Spread the mixture into a large baking dish.
- CHEESE. Top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake. Until it’s bubbly and gooey and all of the good things.
Serve! Oh, and eat it, too!
What Should You Serve with Chicken Divan?
Because the veggies are baked right in, chicken divan is a “no side dishes required” kind of dinner! If you’re on the Keto (or any low-carb) diet, then you definitely don’t want to add a side—this dish is heavy and rich, but also just perfect just as it is to hit those macros. But, if you really want to have all those childhood memories come flooding back, then we recommend serving this chicken divan over rice. Pure nostalgia, in the best of ways.
Tools You Will Need:
How’d You Like It?
Give this keto-friendly chicken divan with curry a try and let us know how you liked it! Post a picture to Instagram and tag @themodernproper and #themodernproper so we can reminisce about the good ol’ days together (and mutually agree that we’re glad canned soup-based dishes are a trend of the past).