Up Your Side Dish Game
Summertime is also known around here as “side dish season”, because it feels like all season long, we’re invited to barbecues and told to “just” bring a side to share. The thing is, the side dishes are often more work than the mains—especially if we’re talking about a barbeque. And if you phone it in with a side dish—we’re looking at you, store-bought veggie platter—you’ll feel kind of guilty going to town on that really delicious homemade potato salad that your friend brought. And we’re not sure about you, but we want to be able to dig in to all of the deliciousness with abandon. The perfect solution? These dressed up baked beans! Because they used canned baked beans, they take almost no time at all, but they still taste super delicious. Served warm, they’re a hearty side that’s sure to win you raves—not to mention carte blanche with all of the other goodies everyone else brought.
How To Improve Canned Baked Beans
Honestly, we love baked beans. Eating them straight out of the can takes us right back to every camping trip we’ve ever been on. You know how it is—when the fire’s taking too long to get going and you just can’t wait for your burger to be ready, you crack open a can of baked beans and scarf about half of it in three bites. Hey—hiking makes you hungry! But we digress. When you’re eating canned baked beans at home, they don’t have quite the same rustic charm. They need, shall we say, a little help to taste their best. Our doctored baked beans recipe is just the thing! Here’s what we dress them up with:
- Maple syrup
- Spicy mustard
- Beef sausage
- Cider vinegar
How to Cook Canned Baked Beans
While you can simply warm them up in a pot as-is, our easy baked beans recipe will be well worth your (short) while. Here’s how to improve canned baked beans:
- Improvement #1: bacon! Fry some up and set it aside.
- Improvement #2: sausage! Fry up some pre-cooked beef sausages with onion to create a super-flavorful base for your dressed up baked beans.
- Improvement #3: a plethora of condiments! Maple syrup, molasses, ketchup, vinegar, mustard—basically throw every sweet, salty, tangy condiment you’ve got at those canned baked beans and you know they’re going to taste delicious.
- Improvement #4: heat. Despite our nostalgic camping trip experiences, baked beans are best warmed through. So warm that pot of doctored up baked beans, add the bacon back in and gobble away.
What To Serve These Doctored Canned Baked Beans
What doesn’t go with baked beans?! Loaded with all of the bacon and sausage, these baked beans are nearly a meal all on their own. But we love to pair them with:
- Classic Cheese Burger with Secret Sauce
- Hot Dogs
- Mediterranean Turkey Burger
- Spatchcocked Grilled Chicken